Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Maybelline VoxBox!!

Man, Influenster is the best. Go sign up.


But for real, they just sent me this awesome VoxBox from Maybelline that had two colors of their new SuperStay24 Longwear Lipcolor, so I got to try out a new lipstick for freeeeeeeee woohoooo! The box came with the shades 'Constant Toast,' a nice shimmery nude, and 'Keep Up the Flame,' a classic red.

swatches 30 hours later

i found a picture! god these were bad
Now, these components and whole system reminds me SO MUCH of the CoverGirl Outlast ones from like, 10 years ago, but with a clearly updated formula. Remember those? the commercials had like, women getting married and it was like, don't you want a color that'll last all day on your special day? I found a picture! I remember this being like a major deal cuz they were waterproof and supposed to last through food, and you just reapply the balm all day, but it was so flaky and dry, and the balm took off more than it helped, and it was just overall gross. Well, the Maybelline ones aren't really like that, but the texture and process was like the exact same.



Anyhow, I had different experiences with the two Maybelline colors provided, but they both smelled/tasted awesome and fruity, were decently opaque, and the balm was So soft and smooth, it just glided right on.

pretty nude shimmer at the end of the day

So, I definitely preferred the nude color to the red–it was really flattering, i loved the subtle shimmer, and following the two minute directions exactly I had amazing results. It really lasted like it was supposed to, I even wore it to bed, and woke up with the color still on my lips, and they still felt soft even after all night wear. Totally impressive. The balm also glided on with absolutely zero pressure, and didn't take any of my color off. It also stayed on through chips and guac, and no evidence on the glass i was drinking from that i even had color on. Pretty snazzy.

The red on the other had was a bit of a problem child.
I went the first round following the directions, applied then waited two mins, and the balm took off a TON of color, with flakes all over the balm. So i was like whatever, i'm sure it's fine, but by the time i finished my coffee, almost all of my color was gone, i just had some thick patchy liner looking red on. So i redid the thing, waited 5 mins this time, and the balm was nice and clean after application, so I figured it just needed a little more time to set. Also, the relayered pigment came out darker, so you could see where the reapplication happened. Again, nothing flaked off with a second application of balm, so i felt like i was on the right track. After lunch however, most of my color had flaked off, and i was left with super patchy redness. So the moral of the story, wait extra long to apply the balm the first time, and expect to reapply the color after eating and drinking.

first application | after coffee | after food

This was ultimately a case of hit and miss for me. I've heard people are having amazing results though, so you never know. The nude was pretty great, but I'm definitely less than impressed with the red. Also the packaging was a bit cheap, i'm never a fan of those clear plastic boxes that break sharply upon opening, and the component itself is decently boring. it's kind of tough, as the swatches on my arm are perfect 30 hours later, so it would be hard to tell without wearing which shades are best.

Regardless, I was so stoked I got to try these out and will probably include the nude in my routine, I'm always looking for the next greatest liquid lip, and these are pretty cool, especially that it's not just a matte finish, there's a nice shiny long wear option in the world now too. 
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment